[kictanet] Airtel Plans Africa Exit

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 00:10:59 EAT 2017

Many thanks Mblayo for your insightfull comments.

By the Ali and listers, i heard on Radio Airtel disputing claims that
they are planning to exit the African Market. Seems like we are
dealing with Fake news or what?

Regards

On 1/31/17, Brian Munyao Longwe via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> [...]
> necessary to reduce the granularity of analysis almost to the product level
> as a company can have varying levels of market dominance across different
> ranges of product offerings, a good example is m-pesa which has already
> been cited (my guesstimate is that Safaricom has about 98-99% market share
> in mobile money). Thereafter a composite of the various dominances(sic)
> across various products lines would probably give a fair idea of the extent
> to which the company dmoinates overall.
>
> At this point it would be possible to determine whether anti-trust
> methodologies, regulatory interventions, policy interventions are
> necessary. At the crux of all of this is the strength (and independence) of
> the various regulatory authorities (comms regulator, competition authority,
> revenue authority et al). And of course underpinning all of this is the
> strength of the policy, legislative and statutory frameworks that govern
> the space.
>
> IMHO the country is a the mercy of Safaricom's goodwill. All the company
> needs is a Trump who will strong-arm all of the actors/players into dancing
> to his/her tune...
>
> My two sumuni,
>
> Mblayo
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:20 AM, Beryl Aidi via kictanet <
>
>> Hello everyone,
>> Interesting debate. And after all the vibrant debate, explanations and
>> the
>> likely perception of Safaricom as the bad guys or reaping from policies
>> skewed to their advantage, for me the Big Q is why is Airtel exiting
>> other
>> countries as well? Can it be facing the same issues across the board, or
>> could it be simply not understanding the African market altogether?
>> Way back when in the early days, I think they were first to introduce the
>> concept of sharing airtime called Me2U. I might have seen a TV ad or two
>> on
>> NTV and KTN and that was it. Safaricom took the idea, called it Sambaza,
>> advertized where wananchi were and the rest is history. And the same
>> pattern repeated itself in many ways, just knowing how to get people's
>> hearts. Remember the Masai ad?
>> Sometimes the answers are in the simple things.
>>
>> Best
>> Beryl
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet <
>>
>>> Ali,
>>>
>>> My very last take on this....
>>>
>>> What you refer to, that the market always corrects itself assumes a
>>> pretty fair playing field, in which case, yes!
>>>
>>> However, closely associated with market dominance is monopoly tendencies
>>> (stolen from Julius Malema), illegal & underhand business practices and
>>> *ultimately* anti-competitive behaviours!
>>>
>>> Lets look back at Microsoft versus everyone else. While Microsoft wasn't
>>> broken up as was initially suggested, they were forced to open up their
>>> for the operating system to ensure that every developer using the
>>> Microsoft
>>> Windows API got the exact same API.
>>>
>>> They were also forced to unbundle IE from the OS. If you remember
>>> Windows
>>> '98, IE was equivalent to the Windows Shell. You used it upende
>>> usipende!
>>> What did that do to other browsers, it killed them off one by one!
>>>
>>> When they unbundled the browser and gave users a choice on the Windows
>>> Platform we got Firefox, Google Chrome et.al.... Innovation
>>>
>>> Look to the other side of Microsoft incenstious relationship with Intel
>>> forming the formidable WinTel!
>>>
>>> Intel at the height of its anti-competitive behaviour paid Dell more
>>> than
>>> USD 1B *NOT* to use AMD chips which were by then leading in the
>>> processors
>>> war. Remember AMD gave us 64bit computing way ahead of Intel.
>>>
>>> It is not hard to imagine what 'illegal' things one would do if you had
>>> few Billion shillings to spend against your competitors with no
>>> anti-competition laws. You could:
>>> 1. Pay every mobile agent to make sure they never offer services for
>>> other providers apart from yours
>>> 2. With you advertising budget running into Bs ensure that your
>>> competition never airs any Ads from your competitors, until you
>>> 'approve'
>>> it.
>>> 3, with your deep pockets ensure no 'bad' or illegal practices that you
>>> are heavily involved in are mentioned anywhere in the media. If any
>>> media
>>> house airs any, you pull-off your entire media bookings from them until
>>> they 'shika adabu'!
>>> 4. Buy the entire usable bandwidth from TEAMS without using it, simply
>>> starve your competition until they surrender.
>>> 4. Buy the entire stock of your competitions 'bottles' to make sure they
>>> keep on manufacturing news ones every time as opposed to simply
>>> recycling
>>> them.
> [...]
>>> network... yeah, this one was hilarious & true!
>>>
>>> Point is, Market dominance that ultimately leads to anti-competitive
>>> behaviour, which ultimately stifles competition.
>>>
>>> Think about it, what-if, just before M-Pesa launched, Airtel Kenya which
>>> I think was at par with Safaricom then, called their lobbyist and handed
>>> them some seriously loaded brown envelopes to kill of the then nascent
>>> mobile money transfer technology, where would we be today?
>>>
>>> And that's why I shuddered when Equity came up with the novel idea of
>>> using SIM Card overlays, which Safaricom fought tooth and nail to stop,
>>> including using serious  FUD, the Courts, Government bureaucracy et.al
>>> to stop an idea whose time had come!
>>>
>>> Equitel was *lucky* to see the next day. You could argue they had deep
>>> pockets!
>>>
>>> But, what of that kid in campus who comes up with MPesa reloaded, will
>>> he
>>> survive the onslaught? What if WhatsApp was a Kenyan firm, threatening
>>> take away crucial revenue from SMS from Safaricom as an example?
>>>
>>> Would they have been allowed to thrive?
>>>
>>> How many 'ICT practitioners' would have come out of the woodwork to
>>> claim
>>> that this technology was 'unsafe', 'untested', 'unregulated'?
>>>
>>> How many media outlets would have covered their success stories without
>>> fear of antagonizing their loaded telco customers?
>>>
>>> How many phone providers would have dared to be been 'seen' to
>>> advertising Whatsapp on their phones?
>>>
>>> List goes on & on.
>>>
>>> My point is, market dominance without very solid & well implemented
>>> anti-competition laws stifles innovation big time.
>>>
>>> P.S
>>> Every scenario I have picked on, on what I would do if I had a few Bs to
>>> smoother my competition is hypothetical and likeness to any real
>>> scenario
>>> is by mere inter-galactic coincidence :-)
>>>
>>> Rgds

>>> --
>>> *Regards,*
>>>
>>> *Wait**haka Ngigi*
>>> Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod
>>> Building
>>> T +254 20 525 0750 |Office Mobile: +254 716 201061 <+254%20716%20201061>
>>> www.at.co.ke

>>> ailman/options/kictanet/bee.aidi%40gmail.com

>>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>>> development.

>>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
>>> bandwidth,
>>> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
>>> do
>>>

>> --
>> Beryl
>> mailman/options/kictanet/blongwe%40gmail.com

>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> development.

>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359
Skype: barrack.otieno