[kictanet] ict practitioners bill is back

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Tue Dec 19 02:55:49 EAT 2017

Kevin,

Let us separate this into two:
1. Products
2. Services

Reviewing products is a lot easier, as you got the final product, can try
the trial version and despite whoever has built it, you can then come up
with a conclusion of whether its fit for purpose.

Now, how do you review Services? You asked how would I tell you are an
advanced Network Engineer? I'd ask for your qualifications, certifications,
experience, referrals would also shoot you questions around what I need you
to do.

Now, what you are proposing is short-circuiting that process and
pre-qualifying people. Why would you want to repeat what the industry has
already done? Cisco, Juniper, Huawei, Nokia, Siemens have each their own
certifications of Advanced Network Engineering. Why would you want to
duplicate that? Would such an organization even have the skills to
interrogate every possible certification in the market?

And that is just Networks... Extrapolate that to Software products which
are in their thousands (Oracle, SAP, A1, MS, IBM, SAS, Redhat, HP etc) each
with its own Certifications and Requirements and you want to pre-qualify
people for that as well?

Add Software Development, more than 30 possible languages we develop in,
each with more than 30 levels of different knowledge levels / permutations
and you want to pre-qualify that as well?

Unless this is where our projected 1million jobs will come from, I really
don't see anyone in Kenya and even globally with such resources and time to
undertake such an exercise and one that wouldn't add any value beyond whats
currently generally available in the market.

Regards