[kictanet] ict practitioners bill is back

Joseph Mucheru joe at mucheru.com
Sun Dec 17 05:25:29 EAT 2017

The absence of dialogue and relying on media reports is a recipe for
discord. The current views, sentiments and concerns raised in the group are
justified only because there is no dialogue. Kicktanet is part of KEPSA
<https://kepsa.or.ke> who we are in constant dialogue even on this topic.
Going forward, the need to dialogue through the agreed channels is key;

So let me try and give a position on where we are;

   - I did state that we will need a Practitioners Bill and even clarified
   to media it would not be the current one
   - There is currently NO Bill in parliament. The last one lapsed and we
   would need to start afresh
   - The bill identified a need/gap in our sector that requires some
   action, especially since ICT is at the heart of the Governments development
   agenda
   - The Industry was opposed with the method/solutions proposed by the
   Bill but not the fact there is a gap
   - Other Industries have self regulating bodies and if our sector is to
   grow, we need to get organised and set this up. Why should government have
   to do it?
   - We are exporting our skills regionally and internationally and a need
   to standardise and demonstrate our skills is key. This is because we are
   not working in isolation, we are competing with other countries and Kenya
   must be able to demonstrate consistent and quality skills -- today we are
   blacklisted on various online jobs platforms because of a few bad apples,
   while we know we have some of the best talents, we are also losing tenders
   and business because we have not conformed to specific international
   standards and so the rating of our products/services falls short. (KBS is
   working on the standards)

And for the accusations...

   - It was a private members bill and not sponsored by Government (We
   opposed it in its current form - you know that, otherwise google it).
   - Responding to questions from the sector does not amount to a "roadside
   decision", considering the level of engagement we have had on this issue
   - The Government is there to serve the people of Kenya and not just the
   sector in isolation
   - Skills Rating systems used by platforms such as Kuhastle.com,
   upwork.com., cloudfactory.com, monster.com..etc are examples of ways
   people are able to build and demonstrate skills both technical and otherwise
   - I have had engagements on this topic with KEPSA (ICT Sector Committee
   <https://kepsa.or.ke/sector-comittees/>) - Mike Macharia being the Chair
   - I saw in social media many of you opposed to ICTAK
   <http://www.ictak.or.ke/> being enjoined in the supreme court
   presidential petition, but none came out (Kicktanet included) to
   support/represent the sector, which was at the heart of the dispute. At the
   very least ICTAK <http://www.ictak.or.ke/> was willing to come forward.
   - Similar to the Law Society, The Supreme Court should have chosen the
   ICT experts from the ICT Industry body?

My advice would be for the sector to take the lead and suggest how this
need/gap of* "SKILLS RATING" standards etc.. *can be addressed. We are on
the same side. If industry does not take the lead, then Government will
step in. As it stands, industry has various bodies and you need to agree on
how to engage amongst yourselves. We are going to be successful and so let
us push in the same direction.

Finally, today the official engagement between government and the ICT
sector is through KEPSA <https://kepsa.or.ke/> . (KICTAnet, TESPOK, KITOS
etc.. are members and even when we engaged on the ICT Practitioners bill,
the sector was represented by KEPSA, when we met MPs).

The last discussion on Tuesday 14th December 2017 between KEPSA and the
Ministry covered the following topics;

   1. ICT Policy
   2. Kick-off Industry meetings
   3. Bills / Opinions - ICT Practitioners Bill
   4. PDTP <http://icta.go.ke/digitalent/> + Ajira Digital
   <http://ajiradigital.go.ke/> (Jobs)
   5. Flagship Projects
   6. Constituency Development Hubs
   <http://www.ict.go.ke/constituency-to-get-an-innovation-hub/>
   7. ICTA Engagement with Counties
   8. Enterprise Kenya
   9. Blockchain

Thank you!

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Andrew Alston via kictanet <

> Hi All,
>

> So – having seen an article in the standardmedia in which elements of what
> I stated below were quoted – and to which there seem to have been responses
> – I now need to comment further:
>

> (Article found at: https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/
> 2001263257/techies-oppose-move-to-introduce-new-ict-watchdog)
>

> *Mucheru, however, denies that the Bill will lock out experts without
> formal training insisting the reverse will be the case. “This Bill will
> benefit the people who have been working in technical capacity for years
> but have not acquired certificates,” he explained. “If they can demonstrate
> their proficiency to the Institute then they can get certified and widen
> the scope of jobs they can bid or apply for.” *
>
> So – I have a question – What will be the method of demonstrating
> proficiency and how will this be tested – and what will it cost – and how
> long will it take.
>

> Now – let me break the questions down a bit
>

>    1. The ICT field is vast – are you going to test proficiency in
>    programming? In networking? In security? In database administration? In
>    desktop support? In Linux? Freebsd? Microsoft? Solaris? AIX? What is the
>    test going to be – and who is going to administer these tests
>    2. What makes an industry body more capable of testing proficiency
>    than Cisco, Juniper, Huawei or any of the other vendors – the bill does *
>    *NOT** cater for industry standard certification outside of formal
>    education – it simply is not in there – and if you are not going to accept
>    these and are going to have this industry body determine proficiency – we
>    need to know how this will be done and how the people testing proficiency
>    will be qualified to do it – and in what fields they are qualified to test
>    proficiency.
>    3. What is the cost of this testing of proficiency – does an
>    individual who has certified as a CCIE at the cost of thousands – and in
>    some cases tens of thousands – of dollars suddenly need to pay more to
>    demonstrate something that he has clearly already demonstrated? Who will it
>    be paid for? How will the money be utilized? Will this be included in the
>    license fee for the first year?  Or will this suddenly cost extra so
>    someone can make some money?
>    4. How does does it take to “demonstrate proficiency” – and if I bring
>    in someone from outside to train my staff in a new field of technology – is
>    he going to be made to sit some kind of exam? Or pay some kind of fee
>    before he can upskill Kenyans? Because – lets be real – that is not going
>    to happen – it will be the death of bringing in people to impart knowledge.
>

> Let me be blunt – more than half the authors of the RFC’s within the IETF
> would not qualify under the bill as it stands – this means they would have
> to “demonstrate” their proficiency – despite the fact that they have their
> [...]

Joseph Mucheru E.G.H
*Cabinet Secretary*
Ministry of Information Communications & Technology (ICT)