[kictanet] US Supreme Court asked to nullify the Google trademark

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Aug 21 15:45:05 EAT 2017

Listers

Interesting development.

Is the term "google" too generic and therefore unworthy of its trademark
protection? That's the question before the US Supreme Court.

Words like teleprompter, thermos, hoover, aspirin, and videotape were once
trademarked. They lost the status after their names became too generic and
fell victim to what is known as "genericide."

What's before the Supreme Court is a trademark lawsuit that Google already
defeated in a lower court. The lawsuit claims that Google should no longer
be trademarked because the word "google" is synonymous to the public with
the term "search the Internet."

US Supreme Court asked to nullify the Google trademark
<https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/supreme-court-asked-to-nullify-the-google-trademark/>

What are the implications in the Kenyan context?

Have you heard guys using Airtel Money saying 'Mpesa me please?' :-)

Should governments even think about this? It's ludicrous that we are even
discussing this.. :-)

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.