[kictanet] Talk to NCIC Day 1: Users and Fake News

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Fri Aug 18 23:19:58 EAT 2017

Great insights so far. Thank you Mercy for steering this important
debate at this crucial time in our country.

(a) Why is there an increase in the prevalence of Fake News recently?

The use of unfettered space to say whatever one wants without being
seen and being held accountable has contributed to the sharing of fake
news.The sharing on watsapp groups “as received” probably suggests
that those distributing are aware that the content maybe be false.

Further, there are now more platforms that have made it easy to share
fake news. They include provocative, rumour-filled sites which
unfortunately are as source of news for unsuspecting citizens who may
not be in a position to discern that the content is fake news.

In addition,  there are sites that mimic credible mainstream media
outlets which are purveyors of such news. This is made possible by the
fact that people are able to register and maintain domain names that
mimic plausible ones.

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace

On Wednesday, 16-08-2017 at 10:02 kanini mutemi via kictanet wrote:

Good morning Listers,

Let me start of by thanking NCIC for their willingness to engage on
this issue. We look forward to a a great discussion and pragmatic
proposals.

We had a discussion on this during the PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSION DAY
2- FAKE NEWS DURING ELECTIONEERING.

I will say at that time, the impact of Fake News was not apparent.
Times have since changed as we have now witnessed numerous 'Fake News'
posts which go viral within minutes. Following the election results,
posts on alleged instances of violence and of government action in
parts of the country have dominated social media platforms. On several
occasions, government officials, media houses and diligent citizens
have come forward to denounce these posts as 'Fake News'. Photos that
were first presented as true accounts of the situation on the ground
were later discovered to be old photos of past events. At the same
time, there have been instances where posts were quickly dismissed as
'Fake News' even when there was evidence later on that they were
indeed factual reports. There is therefore a need for us to navigate
through this issue carefully.

Just for the record, it was agreed previously that the definition we
are working with is Fake News refers to disinformation which GG aptly
put as: _fabricated news that has no basis in fact, but is presented
as being factually accurate. _

With this in mind, I invite you to engage on the questions below:

(a) Why is there an increase in the prevalence of Fake News recently?

(b) What is the role of different categories of users in combating
Fake News?

(c) Have Kenyans given up or are there good practices in combating
Fake News?

(d) Is Fake News a manifestation of deeper societal issues and if so,
are there ways of combating it other than resolving the societal
issues?

(e) We have Bloggers who are seen as influencers. Do they have a
higher duty when communicating?

--

Mercy Mutemi.

Co-Convenor
Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet)
Twitter:@ggithaiga
Tel: 254722701495
Skype: gracegithaiga
Alternate email: ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gracegithaiga
www.kictanet.or.ke

"Change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged
and come together to demand it. I am asking you to believe. Not in my
ability to bring about change – but in yours"---Barrack Obama.