[kictanet] Day 2 on Fake News: Platform Responsibility

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 18 11:15:51 EAT 2017

Listers

There are procedures for takedown orders for content and/or domains. Each
registry, ISP and Domain Registry may have their own procedures to do this
but there are also global best practices to follow. Usually a takedown
order can only be enforced by a court order. There are reasons there are
such procedures to follow. The one that is most important is that probably
the majority of takedown requests may again come from state players..

Here are some links to help all understand this process better:-

1. Notice and Takedown - US and European Union
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notice_and_take_down>
2. ICANN Procedures on Domain Name orders, seizures and takedowns
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/guidance-domain-seizures-07mar12-en.pdf>
3. Takedown of Blackopinion Website exposes weak SA Internet Governance Laws
<https://themediaonline.co.za/2017/07/takedown-of-black-opinion-website-exposes-poor-sa-internet-law/>

You get the picture..

Let us weigh things..And be careful what we wish for.

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Eric Mugendi via kictanet <