[kictanet] Safaricom may face sanctions over network outage-of market shares and competition

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Tue Apr 25 20:12:44 EAT 2017

@Ali,

Mr, you can shoot the messenger, just not the message!

ITU is not *irrelevant*. They have their study/studies on these issues,
before you dismiss them in total, how about you look indepth at what they
have to say, then counter that, point by point.

Otherwise I will label thee a *Safaricom hardliner* and ask you to declare
any interests (Do they owe you any Bonga Points?) ; past, current, future
:-)

Rgds

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Admin CampusCiti via kictanet <

> @Walu
>
> I'm hard pressed to take anything from ITU seriously.. :-)
>
> I'm sorry but those guys still think we live in the Telegram era...
>
> The dynamics of the Telco market are simply too fluid to label dominant
> any player st this point.
>
> *Ali Hussein*
> *Hussein & Associates*
> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo

> <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>
> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 25 Apr 2017, at 7:44 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> @Ali,
>
> ITU has a simplified way of calculating degree of competition in a
> specific market segment e.g mobile money market. It has a strange name,
>  the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI), but it seeks to determine market
> concentration beyond - 'how many players exists in a market?'.
>
> It attempts to measure 'effective competition' by delving into the market
> share each of the players controls. In other words, a market of 4 players
> could actually be LESS competitive than a market of just TWO players
> -depending on their market shares.
>
> As an example, If two players exist in a market and split it equally on a
> 50:50 basis, that market is more competitive than one with 4 players where
> the share ratio is say 70:15:10:5.
>
> Tafakari hayo :-)
>
> walu

> *From:* Admin CampusCiti via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T +254 20 525 0750 |Office Mobile: +254 716 201061 | M +254 737 811 000
www.at.co.ke