[kictanet] On Critical Infrastructure & Safaricom Outage

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Tue Apr 25 15:04:01 EAT 2017

Friends,

It is important that critical infrastructure be assessed holistically. For
example, in the communications sector, we would examine the resilience of
the entire sector collectively and singly. Indeed, the law/regulations
should compel "coopetition" where players compete for business and yet
cooperate for collective survival. A good example is where (say) both main
and failover links for Safaricom fail; yet at the same time,
Airtel/Telkom/etc. have available links in operation. Safaricom traffic
should failover to this capacity at pre-negotiated rates and vice versa.

In addition, sectors should regularly review threats they face and share
solutions and approaches to tackle those threats. It means a degree of
information-sharing that allows for the sector to survive, but which doesn't
compromise business for anyone of them.

Take the example of technology. Most of these competitors have common
vendors and have implemented the same or similar technologies. This is in
addition to have similar processes, types of skills and quality standards of
operation. Indeed, they even employ from the same pool with employees
hopping from one company to the other. . clearly then, all of them share the
same or similar structural strengths and weaknesses. As such, if one of them
discovers such weaknesses it is good for the sector to share such findings
with all other players. . in the end this should strengthen the sector and
serve the national interest as well.

..we should do the same across all sectors deemed critical to the nation's
survival: energy, transportation, banking, water, health care, etc.

Baadaye.

------------------------------
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP;  Director & Managing Consultant,
<mailto:mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com> mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com

Agano Consulting Inc.;    <http://www.aganoconsulting.com/>
www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter:  <http://twitter.com/#%21/nmatunda>
nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe

Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you
deserve!

Call:  +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com

Licensed by Communications Authority of Kenya (CA)