[kictanet] Safaricom may face sanctions over network outage

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Tue Apr 25 10:04:15 EAT 2017

Friends

This matter underlines a key aspect that should trigger comprehensive
assessment of the way critical infrastructure is managed in this country. As
the Treasury indicated a while back, Safaricom's role and especially its
MPESA service is a critical cog in the Kenyan economy.

A while back there was a task force dealing with regulations to govern
critical infrastructure to ensure that this is protected accordingly. This
would require designs that assure resilience in the face of potential
vulnerabilities (both logical and physical) with continuity at the core of
these.

I suppose that Safaricom continually assesses (through audits and
self-assessment) its vulnerabilities, examines associated exposures and
potential impacts with clear action plans on how to address those
weaknesses. . I am sure the regulator seeks the same from an assurance
perspective as part of the entity's licensing requirements.

Without thinking of the worst: cyber-related risks abound too!

Regards.

------------------------------
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP;  Director & Managing Consultant,
<mailto:mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com> mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com

Agano Consulting Inc.;    <http://www.aganoconsulting.com/>
www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter:  <http://twitter.com/#%21/nmatunda>
nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe

Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you
deserve!

Call:  +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com

Licensed by Communications Authority of Kenya (CA)