[kictanet] Fwd: [afnog] Four Years Tracking Unrevealed Topological Changes in the African Interdomain

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:47:36 EAT 2017

Listers,

Might be of interest to some.

Regards

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roderick <roderick.fanou at imdea.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 16:30:44 +0200
Subject: [afnog] Four Years Tracking Unrevealed Topological Changes in
the African Interdomain
To: Afnog <afnog at afnog.org>

Dear all,

We would like to share the url
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1UoaAVwcQSH8w, on which are described
the results of a scientific study investigating the evolution of the
Interdomain routing in Africa using the RIPE Atlas infrastructure.
This paper is entitled “Four Years Tracking Unrevealed Topological
Changes in the African Interdomain”.  It has been published at the
Computer Communications Journal, which provides a 50 days free access,
i.e. the manuscript will be freely downloadable by anyone until May
20, 2017. After that period, it will need to be purchased.

Please find below its abstract:

Abstract
Despite extensive studies on the Internet topology, little is still
known about the AS level topology of the African Internet, especially
when it comes to its IXP substrate. The main reason for this is the
lack of vantage points that are needed to obtain the proper
information. From 2013 to 2016, we enhanced the RIPE Atlas measurement
infrastructure in the region to shed light on both IPv4 and IPv6
topologies interconnecting local ISPs. We increased the number of
vantage points in Africa by 278.3% and carried out measurements
between them at random periods. To infer results that depict the
behavior of ISPs in the region, we propose reproducible traceroute
data analysis techniques suitable for the treatment of any set of
similar measurements. We first reveal a large variety of ISP transit
habits and their dependence on socio-economic factors. We then compare
QoS within African countries, European countries, and the US to find
that West African networks in particular need to promote investments
in fiber networks and to implement traffic engineering techniques. Our
results indicate the remaining dominance of ISPs based outside Africa
for the provision of intra-continental paths, but also shed light on
traffic localization efforts. We map, in our traceroute data, 62.2% of
the IXPs in Africa and infer their respective peers. Finally, we
highlight the launch of new IXPs and quantify their impacts on
end-to-end connectivity. The study clearly demonstrates that to better
assess interdomain routing in a continent, it is necessary to perform
measurements from a diversified range of vantage points.

Keywords
African internet; IXP substrate; RIPE Atlas; Transit; Traffic localization
Please feel free to share this mail or the url
(https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1UoaAVwcQSH8w).

Comments and questions are welcome.

Thanks and regards,

The authors.