[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] TISA and WTO instruments

Mentor Ida idanganga at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 06:37:01 EAT 2016

This makes an interesting read..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Richard Hill* <rhill at hill-a.ch>
Date: Sunday, September 25, 2016
Subject: [Internet Policy] TISA and WTO instruments

Somebody asked me to look at the leaked version of the TISA agreement on
telecoms, it is at:

    https://wikileaks.org/tisa/

Or, more precisely:

  https://wikileaks.org/tisa/#September 15, 2016 Publication

The same person also mentioned the agreement on e-commerce, which is at:

https://wikileaks.org/tisa/ecommerce/TiSA%20Annex%20on%20Electronic%20Commer
ce.pdf

We only have access to leaked version because these negotiations are being
conducted in secret.  Not just "not public", but actually secret, with
Parliaments being denied access to the negotiating documents and national
positions.

It strikes me that the leaked versions of both documents potentially address
issues of interest to us, ISOC, for example data privacy, open source, etc.

Further, I was told that the WTO is considering re-opening the Reference
Paper on Basic Telecommunication Services and the GATS Annex on
Telecommunications.

Given that those two instruments were negotiated under GATT, and that the
composition of WTO is now considerably larger (in particular China and
Russia have joined), I wonder whether reopening those instruments might
reopen the can of worms that created problems at WCIT-12.

Be that as it may, it seems to me that it would be good if ISOC staff
obtained more information about TISA and WTO's plans, if any, regarding the
Reference Paper and the Annex, and provided an analysis to this list
regarding what, if any, the impacts might be on the Internet.

Best,
Richard

--
​
Kind regards,

[image: --]

Ida Nganga
[image: http://]about.me/ida.mentor
<http://about.me/ida.mentor?promo=email_sig>

Cell: +254 728 848 811
"Across Africa, we have seen countless examples of people taking control of
their destiny, and making change from the bottom up.” – President Barack
Obama