[kictanet] Tanzanian lecturer charged with insulting president on WhatsApp

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:49:39 EAT 2016

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer ;)

We don't know the contents of the message, so in this case, we can't
really comment on the validity of the charges.

Questions:

1) Was the 'insult' aimed at "The Office of the Presidency" or against
the person holding that office? (there is, I think, a distinction)

2) Was the 'insult' a string of derogatory verbiage, or some
unpleasant 'facts' which may or may not be provable?

3) Where do we draw the line between what may be judged as legitimate
criticism, and unjustified insults?

4) Are not the existing laws of slander and libel sufficient for legal recourse?

Laws, especially new ones, are written (perhaps incompetently?) in
vague terms - and it is up to the courts, through case by case
judgements, to fine tune these laws.  Unfortunately, for the 'early
cases', this will be a painful process for those charged.

It is also important, I think, that commentary regarding persons in
elected office should be viewed more leniently - it "goes with the
job", after all ;)

Cheers,
Tony

Tony White