[kictanet] Tanzanian lecturer charged with insulting president on WhatsApp

Sidney Ochieng sidney.ochieng at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 18:54:20 EAT 2016

It shouldn't matter if he insulted or criticised. It's laws like this that
are used to shut down legitimate criticism. Studies have shown just the
threat of censure/arrest has wide effects outside the person being
censured/arrested.

Bringing this back to a local context, isn't the law that got Wadi arrested
still on the books?

On 23 September 2016 at 17:16, Mildred Achoch via kictanet <

> The nature of the insult was not indicated in the article. I'm just
> wondering whether the lecturer insulted or criticized. There is a
> difference between the two...or is there?
>
> Regards,
> Mildred Achoch.
>
> Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
> http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <
>
>> A Tanzanian lecturer has been charged with insulting President John
>> Magufuli in a WhatsApp message, a senior police official said on Friday, *bringing
>> the number of people charged under a tough new cybercrimes law to 10.*
>>

>> http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tanzania-president-idUSKCN11T14C?il=0
>> <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tanzania-president-idUSKCN11T14C?il=0>
>> Tanzanian lecturer charged with insulting president on WhatsApp
>> <http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tanzania-president-idUSKCN11T14C?il=0>
>> www.reuters.com
>> A Tanzanian lecturer has been charged with insulting President John
>> Magufuli in a WhatsApp message, a senior police official said on Friday,
>> bringing the number of people charged under a tough new cybercrimes law to
>> 10.

>> ailman/options/kictanet/mildandred%40gmail.com

> mailman/options/kictanet/sidney.ochieng%40gmail.com

Regards,
Sidney

*Twitter:* @princelySid <https://twitter.com/princelySid> | *Website: *
sidneyochieng.co.ke