[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Submarine cables explained - and what increased cable capacity means to end users

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:42:31 EAT 2016

Strange to think that the fastest speed in the universe is now a
limitation to internet 'speed'?

... but that's not the entire reality - and the article misses the
point (deliberately?)

Let's do a simple calculation:

A packet of data in transmitted from a data centre in New York (A), to
a browser in Nairobi (B) - a direct point-to-point distance of ‎11,833
kilometers.  Let's add a generous 50% because cables are not in a
direct line - 17,750km.  Now the speed of light in a vacuum is
299,792,458 meters per second - but typically in a fibre optic cable
is *much* slower, at about 200,000,000 m/s Our data packet will
therefore take about 89 milliseconds to travel from A to B. ...But we
know that in reality, it's more like 250ms on a good day ;) - because
the delays processing our packet through routers along the route add
significantly to the time our packet takes to travel - much of this
being added at the endpoints' 'last mile'.

so, TL;DR, to increase our internet speed, we need to *reduce* the
delays introduced by routers etc. between our two points.

In general, it also helps to get sources and destinations as close
together as possible - which is already being done by content delivery
networks such as cloudflare, cloudfront, akamai, etc. - and indeed by
improving our local networks, and getting local content hosted
locally!  I have always maintained that websites should be hosted
close to their intended audience, and not wherever it may be
convenient to the website owner.

Cheers,
Tony

--