[kictanet] The Tricky Power in Facebook's Hands...

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sun Sep 11 07:10:54 EAT 2016

Listers

The fact that Facebook finally reversed its decisions is commendable. And should be applauded. However, as Tony indicated it raises more questions than answers.

1. Should the most important and powerful Super Editor the world has ever seen be an algorithm or be influenced by Machine Learning?

2. If so at what point should human intervention be built in?

3. Even with human intervention we see that both Google and Facebook (rightly or wrongly) have been accused of certain biases. How do companies with such immense powers to influence our daily lives tamper their powers to ensure 'fair coverage'?

I suspect both Facebook and Google are still coming to terms with these issues and that people like the Norwegian Editor and you and I must play our part to remind them to tamper their immense powers for the betterment of society.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad