[kictanet] IPv6 Chapter 254

Kevin Kamonye kevin.kamonye at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:16:38 EAT 2016

As always, thanks Ali and team for breathing some life into this one.

My story with IPv6 started much longer than I can remember. The key moment,
however, came in 2010/2011 when the hype hit its peak due to the then
projected exhaustion of IANA's central pool (officially announced in
3/02/2011). I was working at KDN at the time and being the largest IP
transit provider in the region, a decision was agreed by all that we had to
move quick - I think mostly to avoid potential embarrassment :) Our then
HOD David W. K., and I sincerely applaud him for the work he has put into
building the Telecom Industry in the region, got wind of an Afrinic IPv6
Workshop in Ghana and 13 days later another very commendable colleague and
myself were in that class and it all went superbly well.

The problem for me started a few weeks after I got back because I realised
that there really wasn't a particular motivation for us to get the other
providers to respond (though the hard-core techies like us did some 'test'
peering here and there). We even conducted a major upgrade on KDN's
infrastructure at KIXP to ensure that all ISPs could get at least 1Gbps
capacity ( though this was mostly driven by the Google Youtube Cache that
we deployed to handle the post-Seacom Internet traffic explosion in 254 and
region). We also pursued ISPs in the region through forums such as AfPIF,
ISOC etc. but the matter collapsed mostly due to natural causes.

In short, I would say that there will never be a major crisis as regards to
IPv4 exhaustion. Techies will do their thing of patching networks until
they can't do it anymore and then they will switch the rest of the
population to IPv6.

What we can do for now is to follow in the example of formulating the
policies, which I can volunteer some of my time as would be needed.

Lastly, I will quote from this
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ipv4-exhaustion-5-implications-africa-running-out-last-mukom-tamon>
article
by one of the guys that led us through the training at NIITA back in 2011
(and I advise going it through in full if you want to learn more of IPv6 in
Africa)

*Implication #3: Driving Complacency in Africa Towards IPv6 Adoption*

*[image: Inline images 1]*
*So long as it is still possible and easy to get IPv4 addresses, 95% of
network operators will do so; humans (and the organisations that they make
up) don't change easily. Particularly, organisations fixated on short term
results will fail to realise that using every every single IPv4 address
available to AFRINIC is not enough for us to catch up with the rest of the
world. Not being able to look beyond a the proverbial tree to the forest,
it is easy to totally be blind to drastic change in resource availability
that will result if one of Africa's large mobile telecommunications
companies (say MTN) decides to remove NAT on their mobile networks and give
each mobile user a true Internet access experience using public IP
addresses (I didn't think it was possible until experienced it for myself
in Dar es Salaam last year with Airtel).*
*Networks will move to deploy IPv6 under the following influences:*
*a) The cost of getting IPv4 addresses becomes un-bearable (as would be if
they have to be acquired from the Transfer market) *

*b) There are no IPv4 addresses to be gotten, anywhere (even if you have
money to buy them)*
*c) The network's owners have this blinding insight of the obvious that the
IPv4 game is an un-winable one and IPv6 is the only sustainable way*
*d) Some powerful entity forces them (by mandates or by incentives) to
deploy IPv6 (like gov't IT regulators)*
*For most African companies, scenarios (a & b) are unlikely to happen in
next 2 – 3 years (unless the shell companies increase and succeed in
getting addresses which depletes AFRINIC's current space). Only a few
network operators to my knowledge pay anything other that lip service to
scenario (c) and the only party that can make scenario (d) happen (gov't
regulators) still largely don't know how to go about it (if you are an
African gov't IT leader and need help with this, I might be able to help).
Therefore, we have ourselves an IPv4 address resource curse!*

Good afternoon,

*Kevin K.​ K.​*
*+254720789158*

On 10 October 2016 at 14:42, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <