[kictanet] Petition against Ajira

Mildred Achoch mildandred at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:32:30 EAT 2016

Just to add on to my point about training. I am looking at the FAQ section
on the Ajira website. "What skills qualify me to start earning/online
work?" Answer: "To start working online you only need basic computer
skills, internet connection and a computer/laptop." True. But you also need
the skills I mentioned: hardworker, need minimum supervision, flexible,
good organization skills, self-driven/self-starter, responsible, etc. This
article gives details:

https://www.themuse.com/advice/7-skills-youll-need-to-land-a-workfromhome-job

The 7th skill in the article is particularly important and was touched on
by one of the speakers at the Kenya School of Internet Governance. The
flexibility of online work gives rise to the risk of a skewed work/life
balance. It is very easy to find yourself working for 24 hours straight,
during weekends, during holidays.

In summary: yes let the youth explore online work but let the government
also offer adequate and ongoing training because the nature of online work
will keep on changing as technology continues developing.

Regards,
Mildred Achoch.

Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com