[kictanet] #GivingTuesday

Magdalene Kariuki magdalene.kariuki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:42:18 EAT 2016

Dear fellow listers,
I hope that this email finds you well!

Did you know that today is #GivingTuesday? This is a follow up to
#BlackFriday which was started to get people into the Christmas spirit of
supporting the less fortunate in our communities.
Why do I bring this up? I am a lister that is particularly passionate about
leveraging ICT for Development (ICT4D).  In relation to this I'm a member
of the Rotary Club of Muthaiga and we are currently running a campaign to
collect 20 tonnes of food estimated at Kes. 3.5M by 12th December to take
to Turkana.
We have been running a water and community livelihoods programme in Turkana
for the last 4 years with great success. Unfortunately due to delayed
minimal rainfall people living in Liwan and Lobur especially are the most
affected and are facing death by starvation.
We have therefore started a mitigation campaign to collect and transport
food to the people of Turkana on/ thereabout 12th December 2016.
I am therefore appealing to all of us/ our companies to please help us get
to our target by either donating food or cash; tweeting/ using our social
media platforms to generate awareness or linking us to any individuals or
companies interested in partnering with us.
For food donations, dry food stuffs are preferred eg unga; rice; lentils
etc. Transport to collect the food can be organised for free at your
convenience. If possible you please drop it at Mayfair hotel/ Southern Sun
westlands on Mondays at 6-7:30 pm which is when we meet and you'll get to
meet us and hear more about the campaign.
For social media engagement we are using the hash tags #skipamealforTurkana
#dontwaittocountthebodies

Your consideration on the matter is highly appreciated!

Best,
Magdalene Kariuki.