[kictanet] Facebook's real risk

Brian Muhia bmn at savannahinformatics.com
Thu Nov 24 13:05:47 EAT 2016

A more fundamental problem is metrics that Facebook uses, that are aligned
with its business goals, which are simple, and aren't aligned with user
needs, which are complex. A recent presentation discussed these issues
here: "Is Anything Worth Maximising?" http://nxhx.org/maximizing/

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, 13:00 Sidney Ochieng via kictanet, <

> Facebook’s Content Blocking Sends Some Very Mixed Messages
> https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602974/facebooks-content-blocking-sends-some-very-mixed-messages/amp/
>
> They have the power, the question becomes do you want them to use it?
>
> On 24 November 2016 at 12:49, Sidney Ochieng <sidney.ochieng at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> China Uses US Concern Over Fake News To Push For More Control Of The
> Internet | Techdirt
> https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20161122/11501136116/china-uses-us-concern-over-fake-news-to-push-more-control-internet.shtml
> This is some what predictable but still worrying
>
> On 23 November 2016 at 17:50, Ronald Ojino via kictanet <
>

> In my opinion, as long as you are a news delivery channel, you are
> expected to uphold high standards.
> Locally, we make choices on whether to read gutter press or news from
> mainstream media houses.
> However the delivery channel is expected to at least sift through the
> content shared using intelligent algorithms
> in order to guard against misinformation.
> We can’t change what people’s perceptions but we as techies can come up
> with more open and intelligent algorithms that
> would at least minimize such issues.
> R.O
>
> On Nov 23, 2016, at 3:48 PM, Mose Karanja via kictanet <
>
> Most honest line I have heard in a long time:
>
> "On fake news I think it's pretty sanctimonious of us to assume people are
> idiots and don't know that they are reading fake news.”
>
> I don’t think there is an algorithm for that - yet.
>
> Feedly as an aggregator is great. I was toying with the idea of ‘peeping’
> into other people’s feeds so that if you have aggregated news on tech, hate
> speech, Kenya… and I am a Burkinabe who would want to know what is
> happening in Kenya on hate speech, I can ‘peep’ into your feed and get
> authentic verified news from the source.
>
> Most RSS feeds don’t have this feature and I think it is what ‘follow’ /
> ‘like’ concepts on most Social Media platforms work on.
>
> -M
>
> On 23 Nov 2016, at 15:41, Sidney Ochieng <sidney.ochieng at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On fake news I think it's pretty sanctimonious of us to assume people are
> idiots and don't know that they are reading fake news.
>

> www.moseskaranja.com

> Regards,
> Sidney
>
> *Twitter:* @princelySid <https://twitter.com/princelySid> | *Website: *
> sidneyochieng.co.ke
>

> --
> Regards,
> Sidney
>
> *Twitter:* @princelySid <https://twitter.com/princelySid> | *Website: *
> sidneyochieng.co.ke

Software Engineer - Savannah Informatics Ltd.