[kictanet] Fwd: Open Forum : ISOC's perspectives on outcomes of WTSA-16

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 08:26:04 EAT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Oluoch via Internet Society <Mail at connectedcommunity.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:46:30 +0000
Subject: Open Forum : ISOC's perspectives on outcomes of WTSA-16
To: otieno.barrack at gmail.com

== Please, reply above this line ==

Dear Members,

The ITU World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly 2016
(WTSA-16) meeting concluded just over 2.5 weeks ago where we had some
time to reflect on the meeting in order to provide our perspectives on
the some of the key outcomes. As such, our WTSA-16 Outcome report is
available here:

https://www.internetsociety.org/doc/itu-wtsa-2016-outcomes-internet-society-perspective
<https://www.internetsociety.org/doc/itu-wtsa-2016-outcomes-internet-society-perspective>

Additionally, we invite you to read attached contributions from Petko
Kantchev on the new WTSA-16 Resolution on Studies concerning the
protection of users of telecommunication/information and communication
technology services and Verengai Mabika on new WTSA-16 resolution on
Promoting the use of information and communication technologies to
bridge the financial inclusion gap.

As a side note, ISOC was fortunate to have a very strong and diverse
delegation comprised of ISOC staff and members that brought various
expertise and strengths to the conference. In ITU Conferences,
speaking and voting rights are limited to Member States while Sector
Members can participate only as observers (Ref: Article 3, ITU
Constitution & Convention
<https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-s/oth/02/09/S02090000155201PDFE.PDF>).
At WTSA-16, the lack of technical expertise and substantive knowledge
in some of the discussions was a chief drawback particularly when
sector members were present but could not take the floor. Despite this
limitation, the ISOC delegation was consulted at various levels and
our information resources on our WTSA-16 section on the website
referenced/highlighted by delegates in some of the more contentious
proceedings. ISOCs information was credited by several delegations as
essentially shaping the discussion on one of the key WTSA-16 issues
which resulted in a
 more favorable outcome on that issue.  The diversity of our
delegation was an asset as delegates from various countries approached
us and it is also where we could be most effective in shaping the
discussions given the meeting constraints. Looking ahead to 2017
(WTDC) and also 2018 (Plenipotentiary), we will continue to consult
and partner with our members in these preparations, so stay tuned.

Finally, we welcome your questions/comments on any of the information
that we circulated on WTSA-16.

Other WTSA-16 related links:

ISOCs WTSA-16 Resolutions Outcome Matrix

https://www.internetsociety.org/wtsa/matrix
<https://www.internetsociety.org/wtsa/matrix>

ISOC WTSA page - https://www.internetsociety.org/WTSA
<https://www.internetsociety.org/WTSA>

(includes blogs posts from WTSA-16)

ITU WTSA-16 Draft Proceedings

Best, <WTSA-16%20Draft%20Proceedings%20%0DURL:%20https:/www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/wtsa16/Documents/WTSA16_Draft_Proceedings_E.pdf%20%20%20%20%0D%0DBest,%0DElizabeth%20%0D%0D%0D>
------------------------------
Elizabeth Oluoch
Policy Advisor
Internet Society
Oluoch at isoc.org

Reply to Sender :
https://connect.internetsociety.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=67&SenderKey=a2ecc45b-252c-4ad7-80c6-edc24785668c&MID=13309&MDATE=756%253b466478&UserKey=23f4250c-36c4-47c0-a953-21fbfc0c933d&sKey=316fe1cb062c44aea994

Reply to Discussion :
https://connect.internetsociety.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=67&MID=13309&MDATE=756%253b466478&UserKey=23f4250c-36c4-47c0-a953-21fbfc0c933d&sKey=316fe1cb062c44aea994

To Download the attachment(s) click on the link below:
https://connect.internetsociety.org/eGroups/ViewAttachment/?DocumentKey=89ba42a7-808d-4820-8d6a-1009947c7db0&MDATE=756%253b466478&UserKey=23f4250c-36c4-47c0-a953-21fbfc0c933d&sKey=316fe1cb062c44aea994
(if the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into your web browser)