[kictanet] Facebook's real risk

Douglas Gichuki dgichuki at strathmore.edu
Wed Nov 23 15:08:39 EAT 2016

Mose et al.,

Yep. In fact my own view is that Facebook ought to be commended for making
obvious a reality in online life that is often blurred offline. The
algorithm just tells us who we are, what we want to associate with or be
associated with. Even in offline life we surround ourselves in echo
chambers. In Kenya the chambers are largely around social class and
politics and their connectedness to ethno-nationalism, perhaps also
religious beliefs.

As such FB has only delivered to Americans the raw data about who they are
in totality.  I am amused that a Nation that touts its diversity as a
strong suite is now shocked that there are such deep and divergent views
about the American project!

The solution seems to me to be in an active wanting to exit the safe spaces
of your known or experienced reality. Your online feedback will quickly
follow.

Regards,

--

*Note: *All emails sent from Strathmore University are subject to
Strathmore’s Email Terms & Conditions. Please click here

"Visit our Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/StrathmoreUniversity>Page and Twitter
<https://twitter.com/StrathU>Account".