[kictanet] Smashing the Silicon Valley patriarchy: anti-Lean In strategy puts onus on men

Nanjira Sambuli email at nanjira.com
Sun Nov 6 10:04:38 EAT 2016

Barrack, part of the problem here is that whenever the issue of adverse gendered norms is brought up, the counter argument is as the one you shared in response.

Do this, over the next month, look around, in events, in the news, in fora, and make note of how many women are enlisted to discuss technical stuff, political issues (outside of women in tech, women in politics framing), then get back to me. With news alone, Media Council Research has shown that even news is mostly tailored for a male audience! Read more on that here: http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/all-male-panels/620-3213560-14f2u30/index.html

Diversity may be complex, yes, but it doesn't mean that the delayed achievement should be sanctioned. And that is why I am challenging you all in tech. What can you do to change this on its head? Read that Guardian article for some useful pointers, retrieve the material used for that training (it's available).

If you find yourself pushing back with "what about men" when women's issues are brought up, minimising room to assess the age-old issue, then perhaps you are defending how the patriarchy works. Understandable, often not easy to learn that the system that benefits you by default is harming others.

Mwendwa, you describe a utopia we are a long ways from achieving. And that is why I shared those two resources, for context. What we should do (discuss Merits not gendered meritocracy) is very different from what we face today.

At the very least, accept that, and don't deviate the narrative. That is unhelpful.

Regards,
Nanjira.

Sent on the move.