[kictanet] OCHUODHO: It is high time order was brought to the ICT sector

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 17:47:53 EAT 2016

I wonder if Shem, who admits to not reading the bill he advocates,
takes his car for repair to a mechanical engineer, registered as an
engineer - or does he (like most of us) take it to his friendly local
mechanic?

Strangely, the mechanical engineer probably would be unable (and
certainly unwilling) to get out his socket set and fix the car -
although he should be able to tell Shem how an internal combustion
engine works (and design one, should the need arise).

Shem writes an 'oped' piece in the 'Nation' - does he need
certification as a 'journalist' to do that?

Confusion also arises as to 'What *is* ICT'?  Is it the design of a
'computer' (or associated hardware)? - NO - that is the province of
the electrical engineer!  Is it, then, the operation of a computing
'device'? - NO - that is the province of the 'end user', in the same
sense as that of the operation of a TV - we all operate our TVs, and
watch programs of our choice, and we don't need any kind of
certification to do that.

So is ICT the development of computer programs? - maybe - yet it still
depends on the intended purpose of the program in question.  If I
write a 'game' for an Android phone, do I need a license? - I hope
not!  But how about if I write a program to control a medical device?
- Ah! now we are getting into territory where some kind of regulation
is required - but is it the ICT component which needs the regulation,
or would it not be the medical device which would need to be certified
- and that falls into a different category (and sector) altogether.
If I were the designer of the medical device, I would want to make
damn sure the software engineer was qualified - but still, I don't
think having a GoK license would prove his qualification to do the
job.

If we apply the same criteria to examine any aspect of ICT, I think
the conclusion would be that there is no such thing as an 'ICT
Professional' - although many of us may well be professionals in
fields which have some overlap with ICT - it is the common ground
where we meet - together with many who would not be described as
professionals at all.  And that is OK!

Enjoy your weekend,
Tony

--