[kictanet] EU PLANS TO LIFT BARRIERS ON INTERNET SHOPPING AND IMPOSE QUOTAS ON NETFLIX

Baiju Shah baiju at telemedia.co.ke
Fri May 27 07:30:51 EAT 2016

Quotas is one thing what about free trade and demand from customers, have the regulators checked the consumer demand.

We work with a triple play provider in the Middle East and they have a 1,000 channels and n-VOD / VOD services.

We found that some of the channels would have been watched by 1 person may be once a month, some of the VOD assets never watched.

Therefore, the measure here is customer demand and organisations like Netflix are focused on the customer and have experts who evaluate your viewing habits to push content that you might like to watch and further work a away out to keep the customer loyal.

Not too sure what the Europeans are trying to promote in terms of local content that is poor, why doesn't European Union spend on marketing local content under a scheme of some sort. This will create demand not imposing a restriction on commercial organisations, think this is the wrong approach to begin with. May be they need to justify to the public they are doing something!

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Baiju