[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Now business wants to lead policy making

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:51:12 EAT 2016

Dear Listers,

Might be of interest to some of us.

Regards

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:26:22 +0530
Subject: [Internet Policy] Now business wants to lead policy making
To: "internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org" <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

A recent announcement by Alibaba's founder Jack Ma exposes what the real
intent, and the problem, with business led multistakeholderism is,
something a lot of people/ groups have perhaps innocently got into
supporting.... He proposes a new business led initiative to frame global
e-commerce rules, which would rival the WTO, which can keep making them
for offline trade.  And he is entirely serious, with Alibaba already
working with a number of groups and intending to present the proposal to
G 20 later this year.. To me it is a political shocker, but that is
where much of multistakholderism ideology is headed.

I wrote an op-ed on this issue in The Hindu, which is at
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/a-borderless-economy-that-will-be-controlled/article8581476.ece

We must re-assess what does unhinging of the role of legitimate
political actors in key public policy areas means. It just transfers
power to a few global corporates to runs our societies as a
corporatocracy. Many of our discussions here on mulitistakeholderism as
a sovereign political form need to be seen in this context.

parminder