[kictanet] Is Facebook biased on its newsfeed?

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:42:06 EAT 2016

Ali, This is what I mean:

Algorithms: a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or
other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.

Machine Learning: Machine learning is a subfield of computer science that
evolved from the study of pattern recognition and computational learning
theory in artificial intelligence. In 1959, Arthur Samuel defined machine
learning as a "Field of study that gives computers the ability to learn
without being explicitly programmed"

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> [...]
> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 12 May 2016, at 6:10 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy <
> ultimateprogramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think there is a need to differential Machine Learning and Algorithms
> fellows. Machine Learning is where the problem is :)
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy <
> ultimateprogramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Its not the algorithms Ali, its the Machine Learning process :)
>>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>>
>>> Ahmed
>>>
>>> You obviously missed the story of the Microsoft algorithm that was
>>> taught to behave like a racist.   :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist
>>>
>>> My point is that we do seem to forget that all these algorithms are
>>> created by humans who have biases.
>>>
>>> Google is in trouble for deliberately skewing their algorithms to
>>> benefit their own products. Not sure this is wrong but the European
>>> regulators seem to think so to the extent of threatening them with a 10% of
>>> revenue fine..
>>>
>>> With great power comes great responsibility - so goes the adage..
>>>
>>> *Ali Hussein*
>>> *Principal*
>>> *Hussein & Associates*
>>> +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
>>>
>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>>>
>>> Skype: abu-jomo
>>>
>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
>>>

>>> "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
>>> what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On 12 May 2016, at 5:20 PM, Ahmed Mohamed Maawy <
>>> ultimateprogramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are a number of elements at play here:
>>>
>>>    1. Obviously to a great degree this algorithm has massively helped
>>>    Facebook. Not that I am totally on their side, what I mean to say is that
>>>    lets give credit where its due. Without this algorithm we would have seen
>>>    massive fallout and loss of klout. This is something Twitter did not figure
>>>    out so well. LinkedIn is still the place professionals like to hang out,
>>>    but its not the place professionals like to stay. Just stating how it came
>>>    to be that Facebook is air and air is life (so to speak).
>>>    2. If truly there is a bias to all this (which I am yes, yet to
>>>    comprehend how this bias is visible) it can mean 2 things:
>>>       1. Either content producers are not building influence better
>>>       than those who rank at the top. Or
>>>       2. If not, there is a genuine market opportunity in this gap.
>>>
>>> But algorithms are algorithms, and my experience developing algorithms
>>> tells me computer algorithms can not easily be twisted to lie, especially
>>> in the field of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
>>>
>>> But these are all books on their own anyway.
>>>
>>> Just my 2 cents.

>>> --
>>> *Ahmed Maawy*
>>> Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)

>>> www.okfn.org <http://okfn.org/>
>>> startupgrind.com
>>> ajplus.net