[kictanet] KRA's radical plan to catch tax cheats

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Wed May 11 00:24:22 EAT 2016

Listers,

This is very very dicey...

Collecting data on our Mpesa Transactions is akin to KRA collecting data on
our Bank Transactions.

That is simply not allowed en'masse, unless by a court order. Put it this way,
there's no way KRA can get a data feed from *all* the banks on our financial
transactions and hence this extends to MPesa et.al

Why? If you have my entire financial records then you know just about
*everything* about me such as where I am at any one time, where I eat, where I
take my kids to school, friends I associate with, girlfriends, boyfriends,
medical history etc

Basically *everything* that violates my rights to privacy and that's why there
is a process that has to be followed to get such information.

Sent from [Nylas N1](https://nylas.com/n1?ref=n1), the extensible, open source
mail client.

On May 10 2016, at 2:10 pm, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:

> Listers,

> KRA is targeting mobile money as part of the agency’s financial data
gathering scheme that is meant to monitor businesses and individuals who are
not paying their fair share of taxes.

> People familiar with the plan said the taxman is at an advanced stage of
rolling out a number crunching mechanism that will use electronic data to
suggest incomes of those using mobile money to pay bills and make purchases.

> Full article here: <http://www.nation.co.ke/business/KRA-radical-plan-to-
catch-tax-cheats/-/996/3196496/-/brq96h/-/index.html>

> \--

> Grace L.N. Mutung'u
Nairobi Kenya
Skype: gracebomu