[kictanet] Facebook Africa Policy is Hiring A Connectivity & Access Policy Manager

Ebele Okobi ebeleokobi at fb.com
Mon Mar 7 18:07:51 EAT 2016

Dear All-please see below for the job description. We’d love to hear from excellent people, so please do pass this along!

A note on location-
It’s listed as London, but could possibly be located in our office in Johannesburg. Our preference would be to have the person located in Nairobi or Abuja/Lagos, but we don’t (yet, anyway) have offices there, and if we hired someone in a country where we don’t have an office, they couldn’t be full-time employees because we have no legal entity there yet to employ them. We recognize that this is huge limitation, but we hope that if the business grows across Africa, it will get to the size where we can launch an office in another market. In the meantime-if you know of anyone who fits the description below/are someone who fits the description below,  please apply/have them apply straightaway, through the link (not through me or Akua). We are happy to relocate an excellent candidate, and the position requires at least 60-75% travel across Africa.

Best, Ebele

https://www.facebook.com/careers/jobs/a0I1200000IAEHvEAP/?q=Africa%20Public%20Policy%20Manager%2C%20Connectivity%20%26%20Access&location=london

Africa Public Policy Manager, Connectivity & Access
(London, United Kingdom)
<https://our.intern.facebook.com/intern/support/cms/tab/edit?id=1043708745656559>
Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.
We are looking for a public policy expert who can combine a passion for technology’s potential to create opportunity and to make Africa more open and connected, with deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics across sub-Saharan Africa. The Africa Public Policy Manager, Connectivity & Access, will support the Head of Public Policy, Africa, and will become part of a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy challenges of our times including privacy, safety and security, freedom of expression, the impact of the Internet on economic growth, and new opportunities for democratic engagement. The Africa Public Policy Manager, Connectivity & Access will be focused on helping to analyze, develop and communicate, both internally and externally, on important policy issues relating to access, connectivity and telecom, spectrum de-licensing, satellite regulatory and policy issues. Candidates should have strong knowledge of Internet and telecommunications law and policy. They should also have excellent writing and analytical skills and be passionate about our mission of making the world more open and connected. This role will be based in Facebook’s London office, with at least 75% travel to key markets across Africa.
Responsibilities

  *
Identifying, monitoring, and analyzing the regulatory and policy issues relevant to connectivity/access and Facebook’s business priorities
  *
Developing and articulating our policy positions in briefing papers, consultation responses and internal policy meetings
  *
Communicating Facebook’s positions in public presentations and also engaging with key stakeholders on the same
  *
Working across Facebook’s connectivity initiatives and teams to formulate coherent and holistic connectivity policy engagement positions
  *
Working in partnership with internal teams on the strategy for building relationships with policy makers, civil society and academics for connectivity initiatives
  *
Advising Facebook teams to guide development of products, services and policies

Requirements

  *
Advanced degree in related field of public policy or law
  *
6-10 years of work experience in field of law or public policy in the field of access and connectivity
  *
Keen understanding of political systems and relevant policy and civil society institutions across sub-Saharan Africa
  *
demonstrated substantive policy experience in at least one of the 48 countries covered by this role.
  *
Experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa
  *
Excellent judgment, superior written/verbal communication and persuasive skills (writing samples required), creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
  *
Experience in policy engagement or development for a multi-national corporation or institution
  *
Fluency in both written and conversational English
  *
Interest in and ability to travel frequently (at least 60-75%) throughout sub-Saharan Africa
  *
Proficiency in at least one other relevant language (French, and any language from the region preferred)
  *
Fluency in technology and a passion for Facebook’s mission to make the world more open and connected

Ebele Okobi | Head of Public Policy, Africa
m. +44 (0) 771 156 1315
2 Stephen St | London | W1T 1AN
ebeleokobi at fb.com