[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 7 of 10: How to enhance Cybersecurity

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:29:06 EAT 2016

Listers,

Many thanks to those who contribued to day 6 discussions. The thread
is still open, we also encourage listers to edit the policy directly
on the Jadili platform
(http://jadili.ictpolicy.org/docs/kenya-ict-policy).

Today we focus on the following areas:

*Online Citizen Safety,
*Child Protection
*Privacy issues
*Security business transactions (Info-Security)
*Security & Reliability of Critical ICT infrastructure

The Background:

The more we automate and rely on digital services, the more vulnerable
we become as a  society to cybercrime and other threats facing the
digital society.

The regulator has a Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT), the
industry (TESPOK) also has a CERT, the  Department  of Criminal
Investigation & National Intelligence also have CERT. What is not
clear is whether  there is a framework to have these teams working
together and their capacity to counter a full-blown cyber attack
against our digital national assets.

Additionally, the tension between citizen privacy and national
security, citizen privacy and business (profit) concerns remain
perhaps due to lack of Data Protection, eTransaction and other laws.
Finally, special protection for vulnerable groups (children) going
online is non-existent.

What needs to be done around these issues?

Kindly submit your views.

Best Regards

--
Barrack O. Otieno