[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 4 of 10: How to enhance Universal Service & Access

Timothy- Coach- Oriedo timoriedo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 11:38:38 EAT 2016

Universal Access Entrench Public institutions and corporations to expand
availability. Initiatives like the now defunct posta satellites be
relaunched to drive penetration of the usage to the mashinani. Kenya Power
be mandated to carry fibre infrastructure on the poles to match the
electricity penetration footprint.

Universal Service: PWD have a better opportunity now than ever before to
have their needs mainstreamed. Government to make a provision that makes it
mandatory for the product developers and devices owners to allocate funds
for R&D to improve the service offerings. Braille technology could be
provided on digital platform more cheaply, speech recognition software's
for Cerebral Palsy children, Voice automation solutions for Blind and a
host of other learning materials that  Innovators be encouraged to develop.
An special incentive be given to spur the development.

Affordable devices: Innovation for local product developers and tax
concessions for importers of mass market phones.

Public E-Literacy: Creation of multi media learning content to drive
literacy at different levels from masomo ya kumbaru to early childhood
education. Delivery format for educational learning ought to be through
devices.

Affordable Internet Broadband Innovative Pricing by Telcos that will be
tied to consumption and geo tagged to locations. Increase momentum on
initiatives like internet.org by partnership with corporates to sponsor
villages and sectors to access affordable wifi connection.

Kind Regards

Timothy Oriedo
ICF Certified Coach, Chartered Marketer, Technology, Media & Telco
Enthusiast
FB, Linkedln- Timothy Oriedo
Skype, Twitter @timoriedo
0722 816171
On Jun 28, 2016 7:44 AM, "Barrack Otieno via kictanet" <