[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 4 of 10: How to enhance Universal Service & Access

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 07:43:45 EAT 2016

Listers,

We inadvertently skipped the day 4 discussion since it was to be done
over the weekend (Saturday 25 June 2016). As such we will back track
so that we can tackle the topics which are very important.

Today we focus on the following topics

*Universal Access (Infrastructure)

*Universal Service (PWD)

*Affordable Internet broadband Services

*Affordable User Devices

*Public e-Literacy

The Background
Universal service principles are based on the fact that all citizens
are entitled to basic communication rights.  In other words, the
government is obliged to ensure that communication signals reach all
Kenyans, irrespective of their income levels, remote localities, lack
of (e)literacy and/or disabilities (e.g. the blind/deaf/etc).

There was recent access-gap study commissioned by the regulator which
confirmed that a large number of Kenyan localities are underserved
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/walubengo/-/2274560/3155384/-/l3vdw8z/-/index.html.

How can we change the situation?

Thank you

--