[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 5 of 10: How to Develop the local ICT Industry

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 08:38:19 EAT 2016

@Listers,
Barrack takes over the moderation this week starting on how to develop the local ICT industry.  He shall cover universal access issues tomorrow.
My contribution on today's theme follows:a) National Addressing System: We may need to have a multistakeholder approach for setting up the National Addressing System. It seems PCK has not demonstrating sufficient 'oomph' to see this through.  Get courier guys, technology partners to work this out, including sorting out the management and operation of  the same in a mutually beneficial basis (ref: TEAMs settup).
b) BPOs: Need to review this strategy and think of IT enabled services.  We want Accountants, Doctors, Teachers, Architects offering their services remotely to developed nations.
c) ICTs in SMEs:-How can we get the jua-kali artisan automating their accounts.  An opportunity for cloud-services right here to allow these guys to use  online accounting systems, along the spirit of the Safaricom M-Ledger (keeps records of your moblie money records in the cloud at minimal cost.
d) Regional Export: Apart from Seven Seas who have tried to reach regional markets, we need to seem more indegenious ICT companies being supported by gova to venture abroad.  In other words we need a policy framework for encouraging this rather than leave it to :- 'whom do you know in government' type of environment.
e) Loca Assembly/Device Manufacturing: We need an EPZ model for the light manufacturing industry.  I suspect there is a comprehensive government paper on Special Econ Zones on the same but never seen the light of day. What could be the bottleneck? Lets find out and unlock.
walu.