[kictanet] Day 3 of 10: How to Develop Skilled Human Capital

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 14:20:19 EAT 2016

@Collins, @Mugambi,
noted & thnx for the views.
walu.

      From: Collins Areba via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
 To: jwalu at yahoo.com
Cc: Collins Areba <arebacollins at gmail.com>
 Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 9:46 AM
 Subject: Re: [kictanet] Day 3 of 10: How to Develop Skilled Human Capital

#yiv9683849621 #yiv9683849621 -- _filtered #yiv9683849621 {font-family:Arial;panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv9683849621 {panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;} _filtered #yiv9683849621 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv9683849621 {font-family:HelveticaNeue;}#yiv9683849621 #yiv9683849621 p.yiv9683849621MsoNormal, #yiv9683849621 li.yiv9683849621MsoNormal, #yiv9683849621 div.yiv9683849621MsoNormal {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv9683849621 a:link, #yiv9683849621 span.yiv9683849621MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv9683849621 a:visited, #yiv9683849621 span.yiv9683849621MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv9683849621 p {margin-right:0cm;margin-left:0cm;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv9683849621 span.yiv9683849621EmailStyle18 {font-family:Calibri;color:windowtext;}#yiv9683849621 span.yiv9683849621msoIns {text-decoration:underline;color:teal;}#yiv9683849621 .yiv9683849621MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv9683849621 {margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}#yiv9683849621 div.yiv9683849621WordSection1 {}#yiv9683849621 Coming late into this one. Human Capital : my 2 cents.   1: Technology changes at an astounding rate, this means playing as we have in matters education, by the time a curriculum is developed, materials prepared, teachers taught and schools prepared, the technology to be taught is obsolete. (I learnt PASCAL in Engineering school when CNC was obsolete)  2: Most computer concepts can be taught at Kindergarten. I am supporting a school with kids as young as Kg2 starting to learn about computers, playing with tux** games and having a feel of the environment around computers. With the proliferation of mobile phones and tablets as gaming devices, maybe we need to rethink how to introduce structure to the learning process, and not to rigidly set the content.   3: I feel like we seem to be emphasizing on a certain subset of IT when learning / teaching kids, maybe we need to develop a platform agnostic approach. A few years ago introduction to computers had the basic parts of a computer that honestly, are hard to use today in an era of monitor / cpu fused into one. With touch devices, Input / output devices are one.   4: The challenge is two faceted. There needs to be an upgrade program both on the teaching front, and on the learning front. It may take a continuous learning process akin to the CPD in medical industry, meaning certifications for computer teachers might have to be on a quarterly (or annual) basis. Because what was taught last year cant be what would be taught next year.   I would love for us to draw lessons from France Vs Englad re: the Industrial revolution. One was top down, the other was opened up environment for exploration and experimentation, we all know what happened.   Regards,   Apologies if my thoughts are jumbled up.    From: kictanet <kictanet-bounces+arebacollins=gmail.com at lists.kictanet.or.ke> on behalf of Josiah Mugambi via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>