[kictanet] Day 1:-How to Develop ICT infrastructure

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:36:27 EAT 2016

Hi Walu,

While i appreciate Ali's thesis, Mwana inchis view on the NOFBI is
disheartening. The few people i have asked seem to allude to the fact
that they are still unable to access services upcountry (mashinani). I
think this was one of the factors that slowed down IFMIS
implementation in Northern Kenya (i stand to be corrected).
Be that as it may we have the private sector popularising Fibre and
related services through our good friend 'Bogua' who has since started
other ventures that are not relevant to this discussion at this point.
I think the government needs to market NOFBI properly and look at the
public including government departments as customers otherwise the
initiative will not fly. Can you imagine the county government of
Kajiado has been building toilets for the community yet a good number
of residents still prefer the serene environment. In fact in some
parts of Bondo billboards had to be erected to discourage people from
dishonouring the environment and peoples farms. In a small way i am
trying to explain how complex serving mwanainchi can be.

Unless it is sold or brought to Mwanainchi in simple terms we will not
get our return on investment. I say this knowing that it is not
governments business to look for money even though it needs the money
so point number
1. Packaging, marketing or branding of NOFBI to Mwanainchi is important.
2. Let us fix this trunking issue once and for all, we need a solution
that will stop this business of our roads being dug up by every
operator. We can have trunking provided by County governments for use
by all operators at uniform rates. Some County governments have
discouraged the spread of the Internet with ridiculous requirements
for laying fibre.
3. Including a provision for Internet Infrastructure in the Building
Code to make it easier for Infrastructure Service Providers to provide
connectivity to clients.

ni hayo to kwa sasa, still thinking about the role of Posta.