[kictanet] UoN twitter handle hacked, ransomed demanded in bitcoins!

Elizabeth Rossiello elizabeth at bitpesa.co
Thu Jul 14 12:20:04 EAT 2016

 Like any act of vandalism, Bitcoin industry experts and BitPesa as a
company do not recommend paying this ransom.  Rather - hiring a security
expert and installing tighter cyber-security controls are the solution.

If the ransom is paid, they will just do it again.  There should have been
more stringent password policy and controls at UoN.

Just our humble opinion. Has anyone else experienced a hack like this?

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <

> Someone has hacked the twitter handle for UoN
> https://twitter.com/ict_uonbi, and taken control of it. He has asked for
> 10BTC and posted the account where the BTC should be sent to.
>
> The exchange rate is 1 bitcoin is USD 650
> <https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=10btc+to+%24>
> https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=10btc+to+%24
>
> Then to demonstrate that this is not a joke,  the person(s) have started
> posting passwords for different systems and Emails accounts for UoN.
>
> Not sure though if these are the real passwords or its just empty
> threats.
>
> It would be interesting to hear from experts.
>
> Rgds
> GG
>
> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:26:24 +0300
> To: security at lists.my.co.ke