[kictanet] Draft National ICT Policy Discussions Day 8 of 10: Emerging Issues ( Big Data, Bitcoin, Internet of Things)

steve mutuvi stevemutuvi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 09:19:20 EAT 2016

The recognition and inclusion of Big Data and IOT in the ICT policy is a
great idea and particularly at such a time when data analytics is
increasingly becoming a critical component in decision making. Data are
fundamental building blocks of information, knowledge and innovation and
without doubt the new factor of production.

To actualize this portion of the policy, perhaps a brief initial study
needs to be undertaken with a view of building preliminary understanding of
the landscape for big data for development in Kenya, and Identify key
research questions and priorities. This initial study could focus on the
following aspects:-

1) *Value* - What value is being created and who are gaining this value?
2)* Innovation* - What is be the nature of innovation being done by the use
of big data? Who are the key actors in this innovation process?
3) *Implementation* - what are the enablers and constraints being faced,
throughout the data value chain
4) *Ethics* - What are the emerging ethical concerns with regard to data
quality and privacy?

It would be desirable to have a national big data strategy in place and
hopefully not too far in the future.

Best Regards,
Mutuvi

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:33 AM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <

> Day 8 of 10:
>
> * Internet of Things, M2M
> * Net Neutrality & OTT
> * Big Data
> * Virtual Money/BlockChains
>
> The Background:
>
> Internet of Things is a vision (now a reality) of physical objects
> (machines, vehicles, buildings, etc) fitted with sensors that allow
> them to  communicate with each other.  The smart-city concept
> envisions sensors continuously reporting status (e.g Traffic status,
> Pollution Status, Maintenance Status) of the different objects to
> allow for efficient management response. A lot of data exchanges
> arises hence the term Big Data with its associated data analytics
> requirements.
>
> Meanwhile, Virtual Money/Currency (Bitcoin, etc) threatens to disrupt
> the need for a centralised banking institutions. Over The Top (Skype,
> Twitter, FB, Youtube) have been around longer but the need to regulate
> or NOT to regulate them continues to be debated.
>
> Given recent developments on the KiCTANET list on Virtual money  what
> should  our position on these and other emerging issues be from a
> policy perspective ? is there need to embrace the issues?
>
> Your comments are welcome
>

> --
> Barrack O. Otieno
> +254721325277
> +254733206359
> Skype: barrack.otieno
> PGP ID: 0x2611D86A

There is always a way where there is a will.>>