[kictanet] Telcos to pay more into USF kitty

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Jan 19 11:47:50 EAT 2016

Kivuva

Thanks for sharing. This is a step in the right direction. My prayer is that these funds will be utilised to ensure that we increase uptake in ICTs. I see a number of issues which will need to be addressed quickly.

1. Revamp the USF Board to ensure all stakeholders are properly represented - From the Telcos and County Governments (So potentially regional USF Boards to ensure Mashinani (Grassroots) are properly addressed by the people who know the area best.

2. Deeper partnership with Telcos and Government. A good case is Halotel’s Partnership with the Tanzania Government to rapidly expand internet connectivity in the country.

http://www.busiweek.com/index1.php?Ctp=2&pI=4606&pLv=3&srI=69&spI=221 <http://www.busiweek.com/index1.php?Ctp=2&pI=4606&pLv=3&srI=69&spI=221>

3. Shared Telco Infrastructure. The new CS has said that he will champion this.

4. Inexpensive reliable smart phones.

Let’s ensure that USF becomes the driver to the Internet economy that it should have been years ago.

Thanks & Regards

Ali Hussein
ali at hussein.me.ke

+254 713 601113
Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: Abu-Jomo
LinkedIn: http//ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
Blog: www.alyhussein.com