[kictanet] ICT Authority request on Connected Kenya

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:46:02 EAT 2016

Hi all,

This is a positive step. As others have pointed out - the most important
factor is relevance, followed by usability (user interface, simple steps
etc) and of course the all important factor of accessibility - both in
terms of site/service responsiveness as well as last mile/end user device
options.

In 2005 (yes, 2005!) AfrISPA comissioned a study (
http://www.internetafricanews.com/afrispa/strategy.pdf)  on strategies to
increase internet growth. This study was conducted by our own Muriuki
Mureithi via Summit Strategies and came up with some illuminating facts. A
study of informal businesses in Kenya's Kariobangi Light industries
revealed that most of the businesses were aware of the internet, could use
a computer and most importantly - could afford dedicated internet access at
the prices of the day! The main reason why they didn't have, want or need
internet access was that there was no content that they found relevant
available. At the top of their list of required content was government
services!

I hope that this debate brings our more ideas and proposals on how
Government can better serve the populace.

Best regards,

Brian

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Nanjira Sambuli via kictanet <