[kictanet] Day3 of 3:-Re: #First100Days #ICTWishList

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:52:02 EAT 2016

Dear listers,
I am getting into this discussion pretty late but am sure I can still add
my 2cents.

The issue of the nascent BPO sector and Konza TechnoCity are intertwined
but I think we have been missing the point by a mile. I have said on this
platform in the past that what is needed here mostly is the development of
advanced skills in IT. This is what is going to make a difference as far as
BPO is concerned. We can have greater success this way than we can have
with the best marketing effort or with the brightest techno city. What will
bring work to Kenya is skills, not marketing campaigns. We need to leverage
on our millions of youth and give them very highly advanced technical
skills, on a large scale, then the work will come automatically.

This is what experience has taught me. For instance, the Presidential
Digital Talent program by ICTA is a good start. But we need this to be
scaled 1000 times to make real impact. Then we need to stop Universities
from offering word processing training to their students. How do we expect
to compete globally if we are still training IT undergraduates on how to
use a word processor? We need to teach them to think, not to be mere users
of tools. We need to be makers of tools, then sell the same to the rest of
the world. We need to learn to produce, not just consume. This is the
challenge that we will face for a long time, and the government will
continue missing the point by trying to tax people more to create
development. Development should be a result of more production, not
consumption.

Just my thoughts..
Ikua

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Walubengo J via kictanet <

> Listers,
>
> Thnx all for your valuable inputs yesterday.  Both on list and @
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WG3JvLkOETkzd1y74Ue0-D5NtfqavYrkOf7jOKQbZto/edit
>
> Well received.
>
> Floor is open on our last day.  I think I will extend it through midnite
> (for those not attending Midnite Christmas Mass/Service/Hangout :-)
>
> So drop your ideas.  My last one is:
>
> * Whatever happened to the BPO dream?  Since the foreign companies were
> not flocking in en mass as planned, I thought Government was to 'outsource'
> part of its services as a way of maturing/jumpstarting the local BPO
> market.  Could this be the time to do this?
>
> walu.

Ikua,*
Skype: evans.ikua
Twitter: @ikuae