[kictanet] CA loses power to regulate dominant telcos

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:21:26 EAT 2016

By the look of things.. the fate of the tech and innovation sector is in a
very bad state. If the Safaricom is a dominant player to this extent. The
innovation spaces may become irrelevant very soon.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> Guys
>
> It's  called Lobbying. Safaricom is just simply better at it than others.
>
> Having said that it's definitely a serious issue to remove the critical
> powers of regulation from CA and giving it to another agency ill equipped
> to execute that mandate.
>
> Ali Hussein
> Tel: +254 713 601113
> On Jan 5, 2016 10:54 AM, "Odhiambo Washington via kictanet" <
>
>> Sometimes I can't help but think that Bob Collymore's roles in Safaricom
>> and those govt appointments are conflicting somewhere. Having a foothold in
>> govt gives him a certain leeway to influence how things happen elsewhere,
>> where he has interests. Just saying.
>>
>> On 5 January 2016 at 10:11, Waithaka Ngigi via kictanet <
>>
>>> This is interesting....
>>>
>>> I can't help but wonder, why would these powers be shifted immediately
>>> after the bruising battle with Safaricom?
>>>
>>> If you think about it, there are over a hundred different industries,
>>> yet only a few are *individually* regulated. Communications is one of them.
>>>
>>> Why? Because of its broad reach, national importance and complexity
>>> ‎(shared resources, security concerns, adhering to international standards)
>>>
>>> That's why CA was setup.
>>>
>>> Now, you take the power to determine if a firm is engaging in
>>> anti-competitive behaviour to a body that practically understands little
>>> about such a key industry metrics as an example, how many Telco Engineers
>>> do they have? Do they have live data they could use to say check on
>>> frequency Abuse as an example?
>>>
>>> ‎Do they have the guts to stand up to a Kenyan firm that makes Billions
>>> in profits yearly when it abuses it's dominance?
>>>
>>> Waithaka Ngigi
>>>
>>> Alliance Technologies
>>> www.at.co.ke

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer
(KE) +254 714 960 627