[kictanet] CA loses power to regulate dominant telcos

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 10:53:32 EAT 2016

Sometimes I can't help but think that Bob Collymore's roles in Safaricom
and those govt appointments are conflicting somewhere. Having a foothold in
govt gives him a certain leeway to influence how things happen elsewhere,
where he has interests. Just saying.

On 5 January 2016 at 10:11, Waithaka Ngigi via kictanet <

> This is interesting....
>
> I can't help but wonder, why would these powers be shifted immediately
> after the bruising battle with Safaricom?
>
> If you think about it, there are over a hundred different industries, yet
> only a few are *individually* regulated. Communications is one of them.
>
> Why? Because of its broad reach, national importance and complexity
> ‎(shared resources, security concerns, adhering to international standards)
>
> That's why CA was setup.
>
> Now, you take the power to determine if a firm is engaging in
> anti-competitive behaviour to a body that practically understands little
> about such a key industry metrics as an example, how many Telco Engineers
> do they have? Do they have live data they could use to say check on
> frequency Abuse as an example?
>
> ‎Do they have the guts to stand up to a Kenyan firm that makes Billions in
> profits yearly when it abuses it's dominance?
>
> Waithaka Ngigi
>
> Alliance Technologies
> www.at.co.ke

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
"I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler."