[kictanet] Invitation to Media Reforms Discussion

Mildred Achoch mildandred at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 18:50:23 EAT 2016

Hi all,

I am writing this to acknowledge the very positive influence that Kictanet
has had on me as a filmmaker.

In August 2015, I was accepted into an open membership programme hosted by
Pawa254. My project was to write 10 short film screenplays, each with a
social change theme. The theme of the first screenplay, "Banned Band", was
"freedom of expression".

2 weeks into the open membership, I received an email via the Kictanet list
about a half-day discussion on media reforms, organized by Article 19.

The main takeaway for me from that forum, courtesy of the advocate in
attendance, was that: we cannot just take one portion of the constitution
and ignore the rest. The constitution must be read wholistically.

Up to that point, I (like many Kenyans who can read) had never bothered to
actually read the constitution. I was challenged to read it for myself and
I did so, especially regarding freedom of expression.

Below is the link to Banned Band (rough cut - still in editing). I managed
to weave in parts of the constitution into the dialogue and at the end, I
indirectly challenged people to read the constitution for themselves.

Also included in the dialogue is a topic that I learned of via the Kictanet
discussions. "*Google/France Ruling -v- Twitter Politwoops" *(KICTANET
digest. vol 100, issue 54: 22nd September 2015).

My hope is that the short film will challenge people to read the
constitution.

BANNED BAND (Rough cut) -
https://youtu.be/zswlk8OA12k

Regards,
Mildred Achoch.

Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM, riva--- via kictanet <