[kictanet] Net neutrality 'first world' problem?

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 12:51:04 EAT 2016

I agree, we need to discuss net neutrality in the context of Africa.
However, this is how I interprate Net Neutrality in the African Context:

   - Firstly, SMS access to Twitter can not be termed as using the
   Internet. It is termed as using SMS to access a service that is not
   available on feature phones. So that is discounted.
   - If someone has access to a smart phone, he or she can get a 150 MB
   bundle for around 50 Shillings. You can also get daily bundles for 10 or 20
   shillings. The fact that someone has a smart phone means he can easily
   acquire a 10 or 20 bob bundle every day. I am yet to see someone who has a
   smart phone but can not pay at least 50 bob for a 150 MB bundle he can
   utilize for at most 3 or 4 days.
   - There does reach a time when access to the Internet is vital, and,
   someone may have run out of data bundles. This may be the case in critical
   situations involving maybe even emergency situations. In such scenarios
   Internet Basics may be a huge plus. Imagine being in the middle of an area
   where there is unrest and you can not tweet or facebook about it. Free
   Basics can save the day and can give voice to people who may need to have
   an opinion aired before anything catastrophic happens and evidence is lost.

I think we all agree that yes, it does give unfair advantage to specific
players, but then what if there is a genuine need? What if we need people
to talk about critical situations, what if God Forbid fire breaks out in a
suburb and the people close by don't have a bundle active? Free Basics can
in such situations even save lives. It can allow people to tweet and
responders to respond.

I do not think people would deliberately block access to other sites
because they get FB or Twitter for free. What happens if they need to
follow up on a link that they want to read on? But it is needed where it
can be of help.

So generally, lets not discount the need for access to platforms like
Twitter or Facebook in cases where 999 can not be accessible. Infact, this
is a good means by which emergency response services (Red Cross, etc) can
set up hash tags and twitter accounts to allow respondents to send vital
emergency information for quick response. For free. When there is an urgent
need for it to be there. Because a 50 MB Bundle can not be used to tweet
heavy photos out of an emergency scene for more than 5 minutes.

Ahmed

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> Good analogy Kivuva.
>
> Ali Hussein
> Tel: +254 713 601113
> On Feb 27, 2016 11:59 AM, "Mwendwa Kivuva" <lordmwesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Let us debate on the notion of "bread" 🍞 alone.
>>
>> We all know lack of a balanced diet brings kwashiorkor. And it brings
>> stunted growth too. Forget zika virus, normal children in Africa get
>> smaller brains because of the stunted growth.
>>
>> Take that analogy and compare it to the malnutritioned internet being
>> paraded around. Out children too will develop intellectual Kwashiorkor
>> On Feb 27, 2016 10:17 AM, "Ali Hussein via kictanet" <
>>
>>> Ebele
>>>
>>> It has to do with the issue of Third Party Liability.
>>>
>>> Ali Hussein
>>> Tel: +254 713 601113

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer
(KE) +254 714 960 627