[kictanet] Of Data Security, Terrorism, National Security and Marketing

Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu chemukoechk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:54:18 EAT 2016

I honestly think the whole debate is one of those where we are doomed if
Apple complies and doomed if it doesn't. It has been stated in some
quarters that this is a fight Apple can afford to have right up to the
supreme court,the issue of resources is not a hindrance and it strengthens
their brand integrity in the eyes of their customers.

Legally, the FBI chose to use an outdated law whose modern application may
be questionable and that may be their undoing. Apple has stated that the
All Writs Act does not provide a basis to conscript Apple to create
software enabling the government to hack into iPhones. It has further
stated that the Act does not grant authority to compel assistance where
congress has considered but chosen not to confer such authority.

It is a battle between the right to the protection of privacy versus the
protection of national security and the prevention of terrorism, the
question is which right will prevail over the other? The final outcome of
this case will have far reaching consequences which will determine the
future of security in technology, if the  supreme courts force Apple to
 comply then no one will waste time and resources in developing highly
secure  platforms however if Apple wins it gives criminals a guilt free
pass to store all criminal data on their phones knowing that no one, not
even the government will have access(who needs a dark web? just use your
iPhone).

Let us see how this plays out.

 Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
Twitter: @TechWakili
Tel: +254 718181644/771632344

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Tony White via kictanet <