[kictanet] Fwd: Re: [global-nn] Colonialism in the Digital World

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:32:26 EAT 2016

At the end of the day, we all have our biases and interests.

It is also said that Nations do not have permanent allies, but permanent
interests.

As for telecom operators and Internet firms, them providing a service out
of their own interest should thus not be seen as necessarily bad, or evil.

What regulators and policy makers should purpose themselves is whether
businesses' interests align with those of consumers, and are not
detrimental for consumers.

At the end of the day, we all work somewhere, offering a service or selling
goods, and I can assure you that few of us do this entirely out of public
interest. We deal with the public out of our own interest, and are employed
out of our employers interest, and the public gets services and goods from
us out of their own interest.

Thus, it is important to consider merits and demerits, rather than throwing
the baby out with the bath water in the case of possibility of demerits,
even when merits outweigh demerits.

On Thursday, 11 February 2016, Mildred Achoch via kictanet <

> Fascinating! This inspired me to do a search on electronic colonialism and
> digital colonialism. Yesterday, I attended the launch of an animation
> degree programme that will be offered by USIU who are partnering with the
> French government and a French animation school. I think it's a wonderful
> thing but now, having known about this new type of colonialism, I can't
> help but wonder...
>
> Check out the Rock 'n' roll film festival, Kenya TV Channel!
> http://kenyarockfilmfestivaljournal.blogspot.com
>

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <
> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke');>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ali for this. I'd previously written in a Nation Newspaper article
>> that Net Neutrality was Neo Colonialism. There you have it from the horse's
>> mouth. Facebook itself. I must say that is very shameful and immoral too
>> On Feb 10, 2016 7:20 PM, "Ali Hussein via isoc" <isoc at lists.my.co.ke
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','isoc at lists.my.co.ke');>> wrote:
>>
>>> Listers
>>>
>>> The issue of Net Neutrality is becoming pretty hot.. Marc Andreessen
>>> sparked a furious tweet storm by suggesting that India would have been
>>> better off under British rule because of the recent decision on Internet
>>> pricing and 'free' access.
>>>
>>> See link below.
>>>
>>> Africa needs to define its own Net Neutrality rules..And this needs to
>>> be done yesterday.
>>>
>>> Ali Hussein
>>> Tel: +254 713 601113

with Regards: