[kictanet] Fwd: [global-nn] Indian regulator bans differential pricing, including zero rating

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Feb 9 02:30:45 EAT 2016

Ephraim

Powerful post by Steve which basically articulates the dilemma we all face in this discussion on Net Neutrality.

Reminds me of the current debate on the pros and cons of the Bridge International Schools model.

I suspect the answer is not an easy one. I'm however fairly convinced that we in Africa must define our own meaning to Net Neutrality. This will take all good people to come together and brainstorm. It will take a truly multi-stakeholder initiative to resolve these critical questions:-

Are we being elitist and unreasonable in defining what access really means to someone who has never accessed the Internet? Or can ill afford it?

Should Internet access be left entirely to the mercies of the profit motive? Could the answer lie in how we treat other critical infrastructure?

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113 / 0770906375

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad