[kictanet] More support for springing startups

Ahmed Mohamed Maawy ultimateprogramer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:08:10 EAT 2016

Its an interesting point of view, which is true. The idea is that the
start-up stages of business are the most complicated and critical stages in
a business and can determine whether it does stabilize or not. Hence the
initial tax breaks, which are present in more established economies in the
world. Kenya will not be the first. The more we support early stage
start-ups the more we create a productive economy.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Ted Ogonda via kictanet <

> Listers,
>
> Allow me to offer a divergent view. Whereas I’m a agreeable to easing the
> process of registering and more so doing business, I think that tax and any
> other financial breaks is not sustainable and could be counterproductive,
> ultimately. The viability of a business rests in the full monetary and
> fiscal compliance. If these components are not factored into the books from
> day one, then the bottom line will not reflect the true viability of the
> business and when introduced at a later stage, the business will struggle
> to remain afloat.
>
> I’d suggest we think of how the government can help innovators transition
> to entrepreneurs by gaining some business acumen including full compliance
> to fiscal policies.
>
> Ted Ogonda,
> Regional Manager, Systems Engineering -  Cisco East Africa & The Maghreb
>
> On Feb 3, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Rad! via kictanet <
>
> Move value and impact i think would arise of the issue was making doing
> business easier, and not just registration.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Michael Pedersen via kictanet <
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Personally I think this focus on "making easy to register a business" is
>> misplaced, the focus should instead be on making easier "having a business".
>> Annoying as the registration process may be, it is only a one-off process
>> once it's done it will not bother you again - whereas the processes you
>> have to complete on a monthly, quarterly, yearly introduces overhead time
>> and time again.
>>
>> My favorite example is ofcourse all the monthly statutory payments, NSSF,
>> NHIF, KRA, NITA, etc all have their own individual process. Each
>> institution have their own process, their own collection procedure, their
>> own queue's. You can easily spend several hours completing a monthly return
>> - for each of them.
>> Why can't they work together so that you go to ONE place and perform ONE
>> payment, then they could split the collections between them self.
>> A few years back it was announced that KRA would start becoming a
>> collection point for NSSF, this was a step in the right direction. The day
>> before it was supposed to go into effect it was announced that it was
>> postponed due to the IT-systems not being compatible.... (the inital iTax
>> version even had a non-working button for it)
>>

>> Second example would be the requirements for nil-returns, often when you
>> see someone registering a new company they are quite "green" in terms of
>> what their obligations are, there is a learning curve to climb. Often you
>> find startup's in a situation where they had been caught unaware about the
>> need to file nil-returns, and the business activities they had planned is
>> delayed for whatever reason.
>> Why is it even necessary to file a nil return (?), could it not be
>> assumed that if nothing else is filed then it's a nil-return... Yes there
> [...]

*Ahmed Maawy*
Executive Director - SwahiliBox / M-Power (CBO)
Ambassador - Open Knowledge
Director - Startup Grind Mombasa
Software Developer - AJ+ / EveryLayer
(KE) +254 714 960 627