[kictanet] More support for springing startups

Michael Pedersen michael at pluspeople.dk
Wed Feb 3 11:35:34 EAT 2016

Hi Everyone,

Personally I think this focus on "making easy to register a business" is
misplaced, the focus should instead be on making easier "having a business".
Annoying as the registration process may be, it is only a one-off
process once it's done it will not bother you again - whereas the
processes you have to complete on a monthly, quarterly, yearly
introduces overhead time and time again.

My favorite example is ofcourse all the monthly statutory payments,
NSSF, NHIF, KRA, NITA, etc all have their own individual process. Each
institution have their own process, their own collection procedure,
their own queue's. You can easily spend several hours completing a
monthly return - for each of them.
Why can't they work together so that you go to ONE place and perform ONE
payment, then they could split the collections between them self.
A few years back it was announced that KRA would start becoming a
collection point for NSSF, this was a step in the right direction. The
day before it was supposed to go into effect it was announced that it
was postponed due to the IT-systems not being compatible.... (the inital
iTax version even had a non-working button for it)

Second example would be the requirements for nil-returns, often when you
see someone registering a new company they are quite "green" in terms of
what their obligations are, there is a learning curve to climb. Often
you find startup's in a situation where they had been caught unaware
about the need to file nil-returns, and the business activities they had
planned is delayed for whatever reason.
Why is it even necessary to file a nil return (?), could it not be
assumed that if nothing else is filed then it's a nil-return... Yes
there are practical (and maybe legal) reasons but it really should be
possible to work around this and make it unnecessary to file nil-returns.

On the bright side the new company act removes the need to have an
official company secretary to do your annual legal return - that is a
clear improvement for startups and helps reduce the overall overhead.

..
Mike