[kictanet] Kenyan Tech Engineer, Zak Muriuki, Died in Ethiopian Jail

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Mon Dec 19 19:32:27 EAT 2016

My heartfelt condolences to the family of Zak.

Kind Regards

Poncelet

On 19 December 2016 at 16:30, Ngigi Waithaka via kictanet <

> My condolences to Zak & Family.
>
> This has been very *consistent* from the Ethiopian government; they have
> attacked our border towns, police posts not once, twice, thrice.... And
> now, a Kenyan dies in their jails and yet, nothing is said, not even a
> whimper of protest!
>
> Question is, at which point and over what number of Kenyan lives lost,
> does it necessitate an appropriate & proportionate response from the
> Government?
>
> Unfortunately, and as history has shown, we have scant respect for lives
> in this country!
>
> Anyone remembers the over 40 Police officers killed by bandits in a single
> day? Police officers! Representing the State! And yet some bandits made a
> mockery of them. How many of those bandits were ever brought to justice?
>
> If GoK can't go after those directly challenging its authority, good luck
> unto you if you expect the same GoK to come and rescue an 'ordinary' Kenyan!
>
> Tragic.
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Margaret Favour via kictanet <
>
>> So sad ...why is Ethiopian government treating our these people this way
>> until one of the end up dying in prison? When will this nation know the
>> importance of press freedom? We should join hands and advocate for the
>> release of our dear brothers who are still held in prison....
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <
>>
>>> From the statement of the government spokesman, it seems the Kenyan
>>> government acknowledges that Ethiopia is not a stable government;
>>> "Government would like to issue a cautionary reminder to citizens living in
>>> foreign countries, especially those which are politically volatile and
>>> conflict prone, to maintain the highest levels of vigilance. It is
>>> incumbent on Kenyans living abroad to be cognizant of laws in those
>>> countries and make every effort to observe them. The liberties enjoyed
>>> under the Kenyan constitution are not standard across board."
>>>

>>> That said, I don't expect an employer doing his normal duties, to also
>>> be expected to identify all the legal hurdles in a foreign country, which
>>> are the responsibility of the companies employing our people. There is a
>>> huge failure on the part of the Ministry of foreign affairs, Ministry of
>>> ICT, and Ministry of Labour and Social Protection. All these over bloated
>>> offices and they cannot pull a simple diplomatic mission of negotiating the
>>> release of hard working expatriates. Kenyans should not languish abroad for
>>> 2 years for crimes they did not commit.
>>>

>>> This is a caution to the government in power, the voters are watching
>>> keenly.
>>>

>>> ______________________
>>> Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
>>> twitter.com/lordmwesh

>>> ailman/options/kictanet/margaret.nyambush%40gmail.com

>> ailman/options/kictanet/ngigi%40at.co.ke

> *Regards,*
>
> *Wait**haka Ngigi*
> [...]

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240