[kictanet] Update: Feedback on the 2016 ICT POLICY - REMINDER No. 4

WANGARI KABIRU wangarikabiru at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 08:18:46 EAT 2016

Kathy Brown @ IGF2016 Host Country-Led Day Zero Plenary

|   |    |

|    |
Kathy Brown @ IGF2016 Host Country-Led Day Zero Plenary
 Internet Society President & CEO Kathryn C. Brown presentation at Host Country-Led Day Zero Plenary at Inter...  |   |

Pray you are very well.
Kathy Brown's Internet Society ISOC President & CEO statements @IGF2016 underscore my remarks at the ICT 2016 Review;
Our "middle-class syndrome" is at play here; the middle-class is giving a utopian view on the state of the Internet and ICT in general.Cables terminate where the low-income settlement starts, cut across the rural mainroads with no penetration into our villages. SGR is another opportunity for the rail line to cut through and yes, we shall sniff connectivity across towns.
Yes, we may have a signal, however this is NOT equal to having access that is affordable to equitably harness the opportunities.
i. The current model is propagating digitally-induced poverty; access, affordability and opportunity are not equitable
ii. The Business thinking today will not solve the digital development challenge that it has created intentionally or not - it will only propagate it if left alone
iii. The Technical Community must engage with the political system for the sake of the masses. The Technical Community and Academia must wear the "development cap" and political not just business orientation.
iv. The Development Sector today focused on basic needs of water, healthcare, food must realise that in the knowledge economy, the next thing that will affect their people is segregation due to lack to knowing. CSOs  must increasingly add to their programming Internet; access, affordability and opportunity. Again the Technical Community (and Academia) has a big role here as CSOs are not well versed on where to plug in into the technical debates and in turn development-based action plans.

There must be a better formula to be better bedfellows with the Government (this is where policy is defined) building trust and legitimate roles for all players; even for small, illegit, unheard masses.

Walu you are not off the hook! Academia, Development and Technical Community must have harmonious co-existence with Business and Government. ....perhaps that is how it is played from the political end. Finish what you started.
Be blessed.
Regards/Wangari ---
Pray God Bless. 2013Wangari circa - "Being of the Light, We are Restored Through Faith in Mind, Body and Spirit; We Manifest The Kingdom of God on Earth".